Thursday, August 27, 2009

Camping at Wild Rose Spring


Sharon and I recently spent a evening camping at 6,300 feet in a canyon called Wild Rose that overlooks Lucerne Valley and Apple Valley, CA. There's a spring there that puts out the best water around.


I cooked a beef stew in one of my Dutch ovens over wood coals. Sharon was starving and ate stew, corn-on-cobb roasted in the husk and a big pepper that mostly roasted on the coals. It was a little gritty.


Slept out under the starts with no ambient light to spoil the view. Even saw a couple satellites whiz by.


Next morning we had eggs and potatos with onions and a ripe mango for desert.


Lots of humming birds and Steller's Jays but no mountain lions or bears. I was very bummed about this.


Had to 4-wheel to get there and Sharon was not happy about it.


3 comments:

  1. No way I'd sleep out under the stars in the middle of the desert. Now, if I had play pen and mosquito net like the one I made Amelia, I'd think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only one small critter of some kind kept making noise on the tarp we sept on. Actually woke me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shot. Love the blog and pics. Glad you guys love the wild and get out there. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete