Monday, January 11, 2010

Cattaraugus 225Q Commando Knife


Above is the Cattaraugus 225Q Commando Knife my Uncle Bob recently gave me to add to my collection of vintage military knives.

At the start of World War Two it is a known fact that the U.S. forces were woefully under prepared to wage a war on this large of a scale. In fact a war this large had never been fought before or for that fact ever since. Many new ventures would be engaged in to meet the production demands of such a large force. Knives were but one aspect of the new style war to be fought. It became immediately known that the U.S. forces were short of cutlery of all types. To meet this demand it was decided to use whatever style could be put into immediate production. Cattaraugus had a "Quartermaster-style" blade design ready to go.

The Cattaraugus 225Q knives were about the most robust knives ever made for the military. The myth about opening crates could actually have some truth to it; these knives are capable of doing it. And the thick pommels are more then capable of driving nails although a tent peg is much more likely to be struck by the butt. The Cattaraugus consists of a 1095 steel blade that is 6 inches in length with the knife having an overall length of 10 3/8 inches. The typical Cattaraugus knife has a smooth leather handle roughed up in the center section with gouges to the leather for a sure grip. The cutting tool intentionally applied the gouges; it is not a mistake.

The knife has a heavy six-inch long flat-ground, offset spearpoint polished blade with a one third false edge, stacked leather washers handle, and a three-piece pommel made of metal plates riveted together. These knives are marked "Cattaraugus 225Q." Knives with the identical blade pattern made by Case are marked "337-6"-Q." The blade pattern is made of flat stock with a three quarter fuller. This is a copy of the well-known Marble’s Ideal pattern which has been around for almost a hundred years now.

Similar six-inch blade hunting knives with clip point blades were made by Pal, Kutmaster, Ka-Bar, and Queen City. Ka-Bar stated in a flyer that this knife was their six inch commando "produced during World War II for the Armed Services."

3 comments:

  1. Either you really are that smart, or you know how to copy and paste. Cool info, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father, just this evening, handed me the very same model knife which he brought back to Australia from the UK after my grandfather passed away last year. I'm glad I found your site and was able to learn a little more about it, though I don't know if the RAF carried these or something locally produced. I know my grandfather travelled across the states while being repatriated after the war though so maybe it was a gift from a US serviceman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found 2 of these knives in my cellar hidden in an old burlap sack! I just bought this house, which was my great aunts' house. Both have the original sheath's though they are not in the condition as the one in your picture. If I were to sell these knives, what do u think I could fetch? They are in average condition.. definitely used!

    ReplyDelete